ARMADA logo ARMADA Project -- Research and Mentoring Experiences for Teachers National Science Foundation logo


Journals 2006/2007

Peggy Deichstetter
St. Edward High School, Elgin, IL

"Arctic Kelp Bed Study"
July 16 - August 3, 2006
Journal Index:
July 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23
       24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31
August 1 - 2 - 3

Additional Resources

July 22, 2006
There's light at the end of the line

Today, we go out to do water sampling. Joining us today is Steve, from LGL Research Associates, a science consulting firm. We have thirty sites to sample. At each site, Ted and John use a Van Dorn bottle to bring up water samplings for 2 meters and 4 meters. These are placed into separate small bottles for nutrient testing and liter bottles for testing for chlorophyll and TSS (Total Suspended Solids.)

While Ted and John are collecting the samples, Ken, Steve, and I are collecting data about the water column. This included: amount of light at the surface, 2m and 4m; the temperature of the water; the salinity of the water; the dissolved oxygen in the water; and the pH. Finally we recorded the total depth of the water.

The sun was shining and the water was calm with icebergs floating around us. Except for my cold hands and feet I real enjoyed the five-hour ride.

Back at the lab, the samples had to be processed right away. Steve and I were in charge of the specimens. First, we did the chlorophyll samples. This involved using a millipore filter in a darkened room. The 100 ml samples were poured out of the bottles into the millipore apparatus. Using a vacuum pump, the sample is sucked through a millipore filter. The filter paper is then folded and placed in a dark culture tube. The tubes are then placed in a black bag in the freezer. These will be analyzed at a later time. We filtered the 30 bottles before we took a dinner break. After dinner, we finished the other 30 bottles before we moved on to TSS.

Steve and filtering

Once again we were using the millipore apparatus to filter the 60 water samples. We measured the rest of the sample that was in each bottle, recorded the volume, and then, using a pre-weighed filter paper, we filtered the known volume. The filter paper was then put in a drying oven and will be reweighed after its dry.

With the sixty samples completed it was time for bed.